Beach Boys Britain
Brian Wilson - Turn the Record Over - Hanover Theater, April 30, 2017

Brian Wilson Pet Sounds - Turn the Record Over - Worcester’s Hanover Theater - April 30, 2017

"Turn the record over” - Al Jardine knew the audience. The Beach Boys recording in real-time was delivered on something pretty cumbersome and required a skill set the is different from the way music is available today.

One had to place a grooved vinyl black disc, on a platform and fit the cutout hole over the center of the turntable, exactly and then meticulously place the stylus at the edge of the record without "raking" it over the grooves, creating scratches and skips. Yes, Al, “we need to turn the record over.”

Last night’s setlist is courtesy of the lovely Mary Ann Jardine…Thanks!

California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Little Honda

Help Me Rhonda - "Honda" then "Rhonda!"

Do It Again - the groovy throwback (of a nostalgic throwback) to the summer of 1968

Surfer Girl

Wake the World -
Add Some Music

California Saga
Don’t Worry Baby - Matt Jardine on lead

Let Him Run Wild (He don’t care)

Feel Flows - undulating - captivating - original Carl Wilson lead on Surf’s Up - August, 1972 back-to-school release, fresh for the college circuit touring and takes one back to sitting crosslegged (and getting up was never a question) on the grass in ragged jeans or cutoffs, performed by the great Blondie Chaplin. Blondie zoned us right to 1972. Surf’s Up is probably a close second to Pet Sounds with it’s introspection, and Carl’s songwriting ability blooming, alongside his bandmates growing skills, under brother Brian’s tutelage. A song to make one breathe deeply…phenomenal orchestral accompaniment from the back line.

Wild Honey - Blondie of course, in the 50th anniversary year of Wild Honey and also an original Carl lead.

Sail on Sailor - epic from Holland - released in 1973 and 1975 - performed by many, including Brian, Ray Charles, Billy Hinsche, but largely memorialized by Carl’s performances. It would take an army to replicate Carl’s talent, but well-worthy ones have done it justice in Carl’s void. We love you, Blondie.

Intermission - fantastic Hanover Theater hospitality in the lobby with full bar and locally baked treats!

Pet Sounds -

Wouldn’t It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That’s Not Me
Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on my Shoulder)
I’m Waiting for the Day - when you can love again…
Let’s Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B! Al on sparkling lead!

Turn the record over! Yes, Al - for…

God Only Knows - I danced the Mother-Son dance, at one of my son’s weddings, but feel the same about all of them. What would we all do without those loved ones?

I Know There’s an Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasn’t Made for these Times

Pet Sounds - they don't call him Nicky “Wonder” for nothing! On lead!
and which talent-spotlighted solos by Probyn Gregory on theramin,trumpet, guitar, Nelson
Bragg, Mike D’Amico, Bob (on bass!) Lizik, and two fisted instrumentation - by Musical
Director, holding a harmonica and flute simultaneously, switching off one to the other, not
missing a measure.

Caroline, No

NPR had an interesting article about this band and how the musicians have altered instruments under Brian’s direction to achieve a desired effect. Sounds a lot like the improvisation during the Beach Boys creation of Smiley Smile. Improvise. Improvise. Improvise. Necessity is the mother of invention!

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/09/484983061/pet-sounds-and-the-band-that-gets-to-play-it-onstage

Good Vibrations!
Barbara Ann
Surfin’ USA
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love and Mercy

Often I hear people say say they see Brian just for masterwork Pet Sounds or some isolated work, such as The Lucky Old Sun or Smile, then watch them "letting go," singing and dancing in the aisles during the greatest hits section, uncontrollably giving in to the "guilty pleasures" of I Get Around Little Deuce Coupe, Barbara Ann, Fun, Fun, Fun or Surfin’ USA and get that this surf music genre is so much more than several critically acclaimed works in isolation, but stuff that actually evolved, in themes and sophistication, changed culture, inspired fashion, while giving ourselves a place to contemplate, relax and not take ourselves so seriously.

Thanks to Brian, Al, Blondie, Billy, Matt, Paul, Bob, Gary, Nicky, Mike, Robyn and Nelson. And Bailey, and the entire team of sound and light crew, who also help make the magic happen on stage. Worcester loved you!

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording