Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration      Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links     Hall of Fame
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Re(1): Does anyone remember the $988k Pick 6 Heist at Palm Beach JA in the mid 1980's?

Hi - My name is Tom Dietz and from 1976 to 1980 I worked at Newport and also at West Palm Beach before it burned down. As I recall, Arthur Silvester Sr. (not Jr.) was married to a lady named Rose Gallo. Randy was related to her, not sure but I think he was her nephew.
Randy was a nice guy who loved to gamble and was always looking for an edge. For a time he was one of the handicappers who put their selections at the bottom of the program page. He would deliberately put bad trifecta numbers so as not to lower the payoffs of the good numbers when he was playing a list, which was quite often. I was also a handicapper and took pride in getting the right numbers. He would often try to talk me into putting in bad numbers to sway bettors.
To make a long story short I testified before a grand jury in 1980 and the case went to court in 1981. Randy and a co-worker were cleared of sports bribery charges but I think they may have lost their licenses later on.
Needless to say, that was the end of my employment at Newport. Looking back, it still boggles my mind as to how many schemes and scams were going on there. Absolutely nothing involving players, but all sorts of shenanigans involving the mutuel deparment and other stuff. Not to mention burning WPB down but that's a whole story by itself.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK >>> Chalk Talk Registration <<< USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2017 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording