Beach Boys Britain
Australian Beach Boys review.

Having seen Beach Boys cover bands here in OZ over the years that were well I could say average or lower it was with great trepidation I booked tickets to see a group I had not heard of, The Australian Beach Boys.

Their web page and You tube clip looked promising.

Arriving at the theatre the stage looked very impressive with a couple of surf boards and old fashioned black and white televisions converted to show original Beach Boy footage. A really nice touch.

As most of you here know Bruce looks after Bobbi and me with tickets and passes and mixing with the boys.

I thought ok, why not try to meet the Oz Beach boys after the show. Speaking to an usher she went back stage and asked if they would see us. Came back with a yes.

Speaking with Will from the band you could see and hear the passion they have put into the show. The harmonies were brilliant not perfect but still brilliant. In My Room was so close to perfect it was amazing. When they announced the next song was Good Vibrations my heart sunk. Good Vibrations live on stage by a cover band OMG. I had no need to worry. Asking how they managed it I was told “electronic wizardry.”

I didn’t agree with the set list or lay out but hey if it works for them, great. I think the Australian Beach Boys could change the set list around and to get the crowd on their feet from the first song.

I would also dump I Live for the Sun and Beach Baby. The real Beach Boys mostly tailor their shows to the countries they are touring with songs being popular. That said they have played some of their more obscure songs here in OZ that a lot of the Australian audience don’t get. I have had people in the audience ask “what song is that”. In Oz we don’t get the same set list as the US or Great Britain.

Our seats were next to the sound desk which turned out to be a stroke of luck as Bobbi and I both thought the drums were lost. At interval Bobbi (a drum tragic) spoke with the sound bloke and he upped the volume from the drums. Much better.

Another nice touch was showing original footage of the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean plus the Sunrays singing the songs on the old TVs as the Oz Beach Boys were doing on stage.

Overall I would give the show an 8 out of 10. I would give Will 9 out of 10 for his falsetto and for having a superb BB voice.

I called them a cover band. Let me qualify that. They are a band that loves playing, entertaining and having a great time with the audience and the music. I should have called them a tribute band as they are keeping the music and the dream alive.

Some of their shows are standing room only with one recent show oversold that made for interesting interaction with the audience.

Would I go again? In a heartbeat.

Alyn.

Set list

Intro and
ASL
WIBN
IMR
ICHM
California Dreaming
GOK
DWB
CAW
DIA
CF
GV
I live for the Sun with the Sunrays on screen.
LH 64
IGA
CG
FFF
Interval.
SG
SJB
TIKH
DDD
Hawaii
R&RM
LOL with Jan and Dean on screen.
SD
BA
HMR
Kokomo
Beach Baby from First CLass
SS
Surf City with Jan and Dean on screen
Surfin USA.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording