Beach Boys Britain
Bold Point Park - East Providence August 9, 2017

Last night was an extraordinary night in East Providence, Rhode Island: It was the grand opening of Bold Point park as an outdoor entertainment venue, a 40th Anniversary celebration of The Beach Boys concert at the Narragansett Park Race Track on September 2, 1977 and the largest concert audience ever assembled (up to that date) in the history or Rhode Island.

This event featuring the mayor and local elected officials, including Senator Jack Reed and special Guest Alan Boyd, Grammy award winner for his work on SMiLE. The evening was organized by BigNoiseNow’s Al Gomes and Connie Watrous.

These dignitaries presented multiple citations from their jurisdictions as well as the naming of a street The Beach Boys Way”

It was also a mini-home visit for Rhode Island multi-tasking native BB drummer/percussionist/vocalist John Cowsill, whose family band self-established in the 60’s.

The setlist - we thank sound man extraordinaire - John Bracken.

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
Little Honda
Do it Again
Surfin’ USA

Surfer Girl
Gotcha Back
Good to My Baby

You’re So Good To Me
Kiss Me Baby
Then I Kissed Her - walked up to the frontline - Ike
Dance, Dance, Dance…after six hours of school!

Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up to be a Man
Darlin’ - Jeff Foskett

Be True to Your School

Ballad of Ole Betsy - Musical Director Scott Totten

Don’t Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
4-0-9
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

California Dreamin’
Sloop John B - Mr. Johnston
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
California Girls - Rhode Island girls!

Disney Girls - Mr. Johnston’s classic from Surf’s Up - 1972
God Only Knows - Carl Wilson on lead. It truly never gets old.

Pisces Brothers - Mike’s tribute to Beatle George Harrison - some new and brilliant archived footage added into the video

Summer in Paradise - have a listen on Made in California - the live version!

Do You Wanna Dance - with Dennis Wilson on lead from around 1964 with black and white vintage video.

Rock and Roll Music

Kokomo
Good Vibrations

Sail On Sailor - John Cowsill's dedication to his Uncle Joe - and Harvard University graduate and US Paralympic sailor Paul Callahan, from Rhode Island, a co-founder of Sail to Prevail, which uses sailing to teach sailing skills to the disabled. They use the program on the Charles River in Boston from the areas of Allston/Brighton/Cambridge and the Greater Boston Community on specially equipped Catalina 20’s alongside the members of the Harvard Varsity Sailing Team.

Sail to Prevail has enabled over 18,000 individuals with disabilities learn to sail since 1982. It’s base is in Newport, RI. It also coordinates a Veterans' Sailing Program with the Boston Veteran’s Administration as well as for pediatric cancer patients with their physicians and parents called Sail Away from Cancer. More info is available from sailtoprevail.org I would be remiss if I did not give a shout out to the late Harry McDonough from South Boston who established a sailing program for the blind in the 1970’s. A former boss, during my college years, Harry had vision for the possibilities of disabled sailors before it gained traction later-in-time.

Sailor On Sailor - from the brilliant BB's Holland album was dedicated last night to both Paul Callahan and John’s uncle. As always Cowsill’s powerful lead while handling the drums/percussion.

This year is also the them of the Wild Honey 50th anniversary - an old favorite - and the brilliant new release of Sunshine Tomorrow - enabled in part - due to the labor of archivist Alan Boyd - also in attendance for last night’s concert. The BB’s started a resurgence of Wild Honey - and was first performed by the Touring Band in Morristown, NJ in 2013. A blow the doors down favorite - and I have my eye on one of those Wild Honey t-shirts at the merchandise table!

Barbara Ann - with the East Providence Barbara Ann Dancers ably led on and off stage by the lovely Tara!

Fun, Fun, Fun - closed out the show. East Providence could not have chosen a better band both to usher in the new concert venue than The Beach Boys. And celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Narragansett Park Race Track Beach Boys in Pawtucket in 1977.

Many hands made this double event an enormous success. Thanks to all who ably handled all the logistics to make a summer evening at sunset on the Rhode Island coastline.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording