Beach Boys Britain
Cape Cod Melody Tent - August 13, 2017

Each year, "if and when" The Beach Boys are booked to arrive at The Cape Cod Melody Tent (the sister venue to the Cohasset Music Circus) - a chartered bus arrives - with tropically dressed fans complete with leis and signs for each of The Beach Boys. The dad first saw The Beach Boys at Boston College in 1972 and the bug bit him bad! I understand - I was there and very jealous of Toni Tennille (of that famous Captain (Daryl Dragon) and Tennille, who was on some vocals and keyboard.

Since this high school kid went to college and further, his family is along for the ride with his lovely wife handling logistics for the Beach Boys Field trip. Their kids are now the same ages as their dad was when he first was bitten with this BB bug. They know the words!
The wife’s camera had to go back to the bus…cell phone images had to do…

At a point early in the show a guy climbed to the ceiling to some type of camera person’s crow’s nest - an occupation not for the faint-of-heart but enviable for the view of the stage and audience.

And an enviable setlist…

Surfin’ Safari
Catch a Wave
Little Honda
Do It Again - that Summer of 1968 back-in-the-saddle BB swagger!
Surfin’ USA

Surfer Girl
Gotcha Back
Good To My Baby

You’re So Good to Me
Kiss Me Baby
Dance, Dance, Dance

So Young
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up to be a Man

Darlin’ - from the Wild Honey album - Jeff Foskett on lead.

Be True to YOUR School!

Ballad of Ole Betsy
Don’t Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
4-0-9
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

California Dreamin’ - it was as hot as in California in that tent and we weren’t dreamin'.

Sloop John B
Wouldn’t it Be Nice
Then I Kissed Her
California Girls

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring - BB quartet - Mike, Bruce, Scott, Ike - a cappella!

Disney Girls - on Old Cape Cod…"Patti Page and summer days on Old Cape Cod.”

Not unlike the Beach Boys, with their new Beach Boys Way in Rhode Island, the late Patti Page has a street in Hyannis named for her.

I Can Hear Music - belted out by Ike!

God Only Knows in tribute to Carl "the Great” Wilson

Pisces Brothers - Mike’s George Harrison tribute

Summer in Paradise - my favorite track is the live version on the Made In California box set! And plug for Water Health International fundraiser at the merchandise counter. Speaking of which - I don’t always visit that table but this year’s Wild Honey t-shirt is a must-have! The album cover screened on a T-shirt! A thing of beauty for a BB fan!

Sail on Sailor - wailing on Sailor (John Cowsill)

Rock and Roll Music - by this point no one was sitting…and remained so for the rest of the show.

Help Me Rhonda
Kokomo! The Cape Cod version!

Good Vibrations

Wild Honey - Cowsill on lead and Tim “Mr. Keys” just brilliant last night with Scott doing the intricate guitar sections.

Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

The tent/circus theater-in-the-round reminds me of a mini Greek theater where the theater is at the bottom of the round basin, with ramps that allow for both up and down foot traffic as well as lending itself for use as a stage ramp for Scott on guitar and Randy on sax to do some off-stage aisle audience performance - up close and personal.

So, I guess the Cape Cod Melody Tent is sort of an intimate family-style venue where the same people return for their annual pilgrimage to see The Beach Boys…and an indispensable music holiday for residential or visiting Cape Codders.

Cape Cod wants The Beach Boys to come back soon!

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording