Beach Boys Britain
Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center - Great Barrington, Mass. August 15, 2017

The most extreme geographic section of Massachusetts in New England borders New York and many New Yorkers summer in an area known as The Berkshires. It is the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra in a place called Tanglewood - named for the trees indigenous to the area.

In Great Barrington, another town in the area, is a theater called the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center, which operated as a vaudeville venue in 1905, and then in the 1920’s as a movie theater. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the only game in town - not a big one but big talent. Steve Stills will be performing with Judy Collins later this week. Two for the price of one!

Last night The Beach Boys cruised into town to the delight of those native to Western Mass., as well as the seasonal visitors.

And the setlist from John Bracken master BB sound-smith!

Surfin’ Safari
Catch a Wave
Little Honda
Do It Again
Surfin’ USA

Surfer Girl
Getcha Back
Good to my Baby

You’re So Good to Me
Kiss Me Baby
Dance, Dance, Dance

So Young
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up to be a Man
Darlin’ - Mr. Foskett - Wild Honey “live animated honey bee" graphics!

Be True to Your School

Ballad of Ole’ Betsy
Don’t Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
4-0-9
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

California Dreamin’
Sloop John B
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
Then I Kissed Her
California Girls

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring - BB quartet Mike, Bruce, Scott and Ike (leading them off from his Four Freshman era days.)

Disney Girls - Grammy winner Mr. Johnston - who says the song was written about New England…

I Can Hear Music - Ike - on lead singing from his toes!
God Only Knows - Carl on Knebworth lead
Pisces Brothers - great guitar work on solo - Scott Totten on Mike's tribute to George Harrison, fellow member of the Class of 1968 of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's Transcendental Meditation seminar!

Summer in Paradise
Sail on Sailor - multitasking drummer/percussionist John Cowsill

Rock and Roll Music
Help Me Rhonda

Kokomo — in The Berkshires!
Good Vibrations

Wild Honey - the vocal powerhouse John Cowsill on lead

Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

The new video is astounding - Mike Czaszwicz! Cleverly embedded in the Wild Honey slides are snapshots of the Wild Honey stained glass are photos with the lyrics - such as a photo of Carl in his white suit and the words to Darlin’ - “Don’t Know if words can say” or “You're so fine.”

Or, the Lei’d in Hawaii work with Brian and Mike, or Al in the classic BB striped shirts, before they were refreshed with a new look in the Fall of 1967. The Wild Honey bee "comes to life” on the screen lifting off to "fly around" the screen, landing near photos of the band or leading to the next video clip. Bravo!

Gotta give a shout-out to the Castle Street Cafe - who are in the adjoining building to the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center and who are regularly closed on Tuesdays. They opened their restaurant just for The Beach Boys event. Delicious, high-quality casual dining; both fast and efficient, just what is required pre-show. Thanks to you!

Replies:
There have been no replies.

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording