WELCOME TO THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS MESSAGE BOARD.
IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST VISIT THERE IS NO NEED TO REGISTER TO PLACE A MESSAGE ON THE BOARD. HOWEVER, IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IF YOU WOULD PLEASE GO TO :DATABASE FORMAND COMPLETE THE FORM.
Abusive, Anonymous, and Messages that do not meet the Mission Statement will be deleted and you will be banned from the site.
Note: Please take care when entering your email address. i.e. No Spaces! Please enter your email address as someone might wish to contact you direct and they can do this by clicking on your name at the top of your message and your e mail address will come up for them. Leave the LINK NAME, LINK URL, and the IMAGE URL Boxes blank. Enter a password of your choosing this will let you edit post after they have been posted. Once your message is ready to be posted Click PREVIEW POST to check what your message will look like once on site. If you are happy with with your message then Click POST. Your message will now go on the site Messages posted in the last 24 hrs. are in White.
:SMILIES (Emoticons)
Re(4):
IP: 109.147.133.41

The British soldier has always been innovative.
The minute he is issued something, he sets about "improving" it.

The CSM's pace stick as issued is a great big lump of ash, with brass point for gripping the ground and prevent splitting. It has a brass "fold away" device which when concealed in the body of the stick cannot be seen.
When the device is opened, by means of a hinge, it is calibrated into different pace lengths, to suit different Regiments and customs.
Since the object is very very rarely used as the designer intended, it's main use today has become ceremonial and has become the issue of a very very competitive competition between Units, chiefly (of course) the Brigade of Guards.
Now then, to allow the user to comply and compete with the rules of the pace stick competition, the issued pace stick has to undergo some extreme soldier modifications, it is simply not possible to "Stick" at the speed and standard required with an issued stick, they are far to heavy clumsy and thick( The sticks, not the Guardsmen)

So what does our aspiring stick champion do?
He gets himself an ordinary issued pick helve and he goes to see the Unit Chippy, who for a small consideration will whittle it down until is is a shadow of it's old self, and will JUST accommodate the brass fittings taken from the old one.
(Are you still with me?)

The new slim line stick is then smoothed and polished into a work of art and beauty, ending up with a varnish of yacht lacquer to the proud owners choosing.

Now he is ready, and on to the parade ground at the front of Old College RMAS steps our Fusilier( me) stick clicking away at his side as though on automatic.

I came nowhere in the competition.

Little fat Infantry men do not look the part alongside those 6 foot bean poles who have practiced sticking day and night for months, and who see it as regimentally shameful not to win this annual event.

I still have my modified stick, it stands with the umbrellas, still looking cheated at my letting it down.

Joe.
Omnia Audax XX

Replies:
            • Re(5): -
              • Re(6): Grass. -

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Password To Edit Post:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright 2000-2010
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording