Just Big Radio Show

Outlaws Training Logs

Re(1): Since this board is/was full of old hardcore lifters i have question

Potential health issues from heavy drug use and injuries are a risk you have to weigh and decide for yourself, but how you do so changes as you age. For many young people, health is a fairly distant concern and thus is not as important a factor to them than as it is to someone weighing the same risks who is older. I never got to a high level but know people who did, and my view is that it isn't necessary to go to extremes in terms of training and drug use. There are some very good lifters who had long careers and who kept drug use in sensible amounts. Genetics plays a factor in that.

As for career and family, I don't think you need to make tremendous sacrifices in those areas to be a top lifter. It has to do with mindset more than anything else. You should always put family first, especially your kids. Careers that require very long hours or a lot of travel aren't conducive to good lifting, but there are plenty of other options, and some have managed to juggle demanding careers with competing successfully. You have to learn how to turn things on and off. That's hard to do when you're young and all you can think about is training and your next competition. When you're older, it's easier to focus intensely on something for part of the day and then forget it and focus on other things for the rest of the day. You figure out that focusing on training and competing all the time and neglecting other things doesn't do anything to make you more successful at training and competing, it just makes you one-dimensional.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Password To Edit Post:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording