Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration    Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links    Hall of Fame    Miami scratches    Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Re(1): Jai Alai Player Metrics

Here is my approach for how I ranked abilities back in early 1990's with actual statistics to use in my Jai-Alai computer simulation. Involved post position history for the players plus their actual win percents.

I will assume a singles game such as Dania game 10 as simple example.

My simulation of 20 million games for 7-point singles with all teams equal and a small singles game server advantage (was ~2 or 3% built-in, can't remember which it used) gave following rounded-off win percents.

P1-16.0%
P2-15.0%
P3-13.3%
P4-12.5%
P5-10.9%
P6-10.9%
P7-9.7%
P8-11.7%

To keep example simple I'm just showing 3-games played for Player A, and he had been in Posts 4,5,7.

So, add the simulation %'s for those posts: 12.5+10.9+9.7=33.1
Divide by the 3-games played to get the average Player A simulation win %: 33.1/3=11.0%
You take Player A's actual singles game win % and say it's 13.0%.
Divide actual win % by simulation win %: 13.0/11.0=1.18 factor
Do this for all of the players for game 10 singles.

I also normalized all the factors (took each factor divided by the average of the 8-factors). Can't assume the average of all factors is 1.0 if not always the same group of 8-players. This works good for ranking players.

This is how I generated my inputs to load into my computer simulation to simulate two twin trifecta games for the Sunday mandatory twin-tri at Orlando in the early-mid 1990's.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK >>> Chalk Talk Registration <<< USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2017 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording