Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration    Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links    Hall of Fame    Miami scratches    Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Splitting hairs / degrees of freedom

You can slice and dice down to most trivial level, but each time you do, you increase the variance, because the sample size is smaller.

Example: Take Win percentage. It IS a reasonable measure of performance, no doubt, but hardly enough. So now, we separate Singles and Doubles to get a better look, but lo, we now have fewer results in the sample, so the variance increases.

This trend continues as you break it down further: Serve vs Receive, Wednesday vs Thursday - you name it. Each time, you may be getting additional information, but in each case, the statistical reliability becomes less.

My computer systems, from the get-go, have been designed to work exclusively from 'published' data, e.g., entries & results. Now, I get an awful lot of info from those published sources, much more than you would imagine. And, that's not to say I don't add personal (observational) input when doing serious handicapping. But the systems are basically designed to be 'dumb' and 'remote'.

Back to the issue, I use many factors in my analyses, but with some common threads:
    1. Assumptions/results should be 'testable' and, if not significant at a target confidence level, can be ignored.
    2. There should be an underlying logic (rationale) for use of a specific factor. Odd/even day numbers, for example, is a silly notion. It COULD be tested, but why? Matinee vs Evening, however - you COULD make a case (see Bolivar discussion).
Great thread! Definitely HOF material.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK >>> Chalk Talk Registration <<< USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2018 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording