Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration    Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links    Hall of Fame    Miami scratches    Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Re(1): Use Win & Place stats

have found over time that using show records too can make the simulation output less reliable

That is interesting.

Years ago I had a very bright friend - the kind where each guy is always looking to outdo the other - who came down to visit me and go to jai-alai. At Dania he watched the late games, and characterized Alberdi III as 'someone who never learns from his mistakes' (I have no idea about that) and by the final game was convinced based on his observations of 'who's hot' that the bet had to be 5 Azca-Gorricho. They ran it!

Anyway, the point is that he - being super-competitive - formed the opinion that 'show' should count against you. Now that is really interesting because if you are trying to identify the very best players, who at-the-moment have the right stuff to dominate, chances are those guys do not find 'show' to be all that gratifying. But, I work on a million things and never got around to testing whether 'show' has a negative correlation. But it wouldn't surprise me.

My first sim was on a Hewlett Packard 98-instructions programmable calculator. I was proud of myself for that with the 98 instruction limit until my friend called me a few days later to inform me that he was able to do a sim on his 49-instructions HP. However, both our programs were just for finding the winner.

Chances are that only Tiger can understand this, but with my C64, in order to get PERFORMANCE, I used machine language instructions WITHOUT an assembler. That's right, everything had to be peeked and poked, after looking up the op codes. Branches had to be hand calculated. But it worked.

Today I still demand the fastest possible operation, which I get from assembly language. SIMD instructions get me to about 7 million games per second. I have the skills to parallelize it for even faster execution, but given the state of jai-alai, I have shelved that project, along with many others, including a so-called Super-Computer which calculates rather than simulates.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK >>> Chalk Talk Registration <<< USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2017 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording