Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

Chalk Talk Registration    Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links    Hall of Fame    Miami scratches    Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Re(7): Joey/Soroa vs Goiko/Lopez

I don't know why so many people think today's athletes are more athletic than the past players. It may apply on some sports, but in jai alai? Walk into the place and you'll see whatever equipment was available back in the 80's is what is there now. Not like in top sports like in football or something that they have upgraded to the latest in-house equipment with top orthopedics, managers and physical therapists specializing in the sport guide the players. Humans have not evolved that much either in 30 years that today humans are more athletic today either, matter of fact, I often tell the young ones they don't make them like they used to. In my 20's and 30's I could play 2 hours of racketball "just to warm up" and then 3 hours of jai alai with no problems, I still play racquetball and see all these young "athletes" going home after an hour and a half cause "they're tired". I ask them who's the old guy here? LOL

I was there, Joey specifically was very athletic, and so was Soroa.. I don't think I'm being nostalgic when I say Joey had more shots than Goiko and was more aggressive, I was there day to day and I saw it. Goiko relies more on his catching ability and power, and I hate to say it, much of that power comes from the travelling with the ball that was not allowed back then.

That said, I'm confident that Goiko would've being a terrific and top player back in the day and would've learn just fine to throw without the travelling, and that he would've being better than he is today by playing against all those top players under pressure day to day.

It is impossible to compare different generation, I know, but I bite everytime someone asks :-) It's tough not to compare when you have seen them both. I miss the old player postures, the long non-routine volleys which most times ended by some spectacular shot, not cause someone dumped the ball, the players jogging back to the cage rather than laughing and walking back when they lose.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK >>> Chalk Talk Registration <<< USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2018 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording