Page ONE
Re(1): Navy to Extend Ship Lives of All DDGs to Forty Five Years

In my work as a contractor supporting NAVSEA, I was proud to be a member of the DDG 51 Co-located Contract Design Team, which developed the shipbuilding specifications for the U.S.S. Arleigh Burke. I was involved in formulating the Integrated Logistic System (ILS) plans and design requirements. Because of “design budgeting,” the design criteria for modular attributes reserved for space, weight, and power; ship life expectancy is being achieved. Main engines (rail-mounted gas turbines) are changed out for depot-level maintenance and upgrades, and similar gas turbine electrical generators have the same attributes. The one thing I personally achieved was to claim the space “reserved” for the to-be-developed RACER (Rankine Cycle gas turbine heat energy recovery system) and have it designated as the ships supply department office and computer system space, because I realized from having supported the RACER design development that it was an impractical whore’s dream of Christmas. NAVSEA subsequently dropped RACER and we kept our space. The two design arguments we lost were rounded deck-edge gunnel connections and also we didn’t want the seawater compensated fuel tanks that were adopted for cost considerations. As I say, I’m proud of my contribution and have a framed copy of the original DDG 51 lines drawing hanging in my computer room.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Password To Edit Post:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording