Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration    Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links    Hall of Fame    Magic City scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

My Thoughts on Magic City

First of all, I found it pretty funny that they had to cancel their matinee because one of the glass panels on the front wall broke. That had happened once at Kings Court, so you'd think that Magic City would have been wary of installing that type of court. And then they moved the evening performance from 7:00 to 6:00. That had to piss off some people who arrived for a 7:00 evening start. I guess they had a bunch of people waiting from the afternoon, and they wanted to start as soon as possible for those folks.

The players....those of you who have "known" me on this site for many years know that I have always had an abundance of respect for even the least talented professional jai-alai players, because I understand how difficult and physically demanding the sport is, and even the lowest ranking pro has always been far better than I could ever hope to be. While I do respect the players at Magic City, as they are all athletes who are trying something totally foreign to them, I cannot say that they are far better than I could ever hope to be. Frankly, even though I am 66 years old with a stiff back that limits my abilities, I firmly believe that I could fly down there today and win against these guys. I think the longest point I saw yesterday was about six throws. I give the players credit for learning a new and very difficult sport, and they will probably get better with continued practice, but saying this is professional jai-alai is like saying that a beer league softball game is professional baseball.

The game....It's the game I play at CT Amateur. Soft ball, small court. This game does not have the speed, or the danger, or the physical demands, of jai-alai. Now, that doesn't mean it's not a valid form of entertainment, but as a fan of the sport at its highest level, I find this unwatchable. As for wagering, I would compare wagering on this version of the game to playing a slot machine (nothing but luck), while wagering at Dania is more like playing video poker (involves a level of skill).

The announcers....Better than that guy at Miami, but that doesn't say much. Stu was okay, he understood that some of the people in attendance were probably new to the game, and he explained what was happening. Paulie was constantly trying to make a skunk smell like a rose, calling a five shot rally a great point, calling a shank a winning shot, etc.

Bottom line....If it brings new fans to the game, and they end up going to Dania, great. For me, it's thanks but no thanks. I'd rather go to CT Amateur. Trust me, the play is way better there than at Magic City. And the front wall doesn't shatter.

P.S. - More appreciation that ever for Dania, for keeping REAL jai-alai alive. Is it September yet?

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK >>> Chalk Talk Registration <<< USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2018 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording