Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

RIP--ANGEL UGARTE "TXANTXANGORRI"--1926-2019

Announced last week at Jai Alai News Facebook page, for those of you who didn't already know.

https://www.facebook.com/JaiAlaiNews/posts/1964544803658362

Will link to directly below

Google translate:

Goodbye Txantxangorri!

Angel Ugarte has passed away, pelota of villabona at 93 years old. The funeral will take place tomorrow Saturday, in villabona at 18 pm.

Angel Ugarte "Txantxangorri" was born in Brazil, lived in villabona, played as a basket of basket in several pediments of the state before crossing the pond for America, and returned to euskadi to spend the last years of his life in zalduondo, Araba, together With his partner Cristina Imaz.

He was a charismatic character, everyone wanted to be with Angel Ugarte, "txantxangorri". of kind character, I play to live a life of film and he knew to enjoy it. It was pelota inside and off the court. His humor, his character, his stories... were forever recorded in the film-documentary jai alai blues, where we saw him dress with white suit, with a small basket of gold on the tie, eating prawns and drinking albariño, telling us his Stories with the great guillermo amutxastegi or with actress Esther Williams in the filming of the film "easy to love".

" if you were born again?" I was asking director gorka bilbao to txantxangorri. Before the phrase "Pelota" was finished, he answered sharp angel. " what a life! All in! But Pelota of the before ".

Angel Ugarte Jauregi was born in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on November 10, 1926, city that had several pediments of punta basket at that time. Son of little, who played in Cairo or Brazil and grandson of Manuel Jauregi Pildain, pelota in Argentina etc... little angel gave his first balls in Brazil, of little, and when the family returned to the basque country started rehearsing here . He debuted as a puntista in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, passed through the pediment de Las Palmas, the aragonese of Zaragoza, the balearic of Palma De Mallorca.

He himself said that Carmelo Shelf, President of the Gipuzkoa Ball Federation invited American Entrepreneur Berenson to watch a bounce match to villabona. " the berenson on a main balcony of the square watching the match. Me around the ground, over and over again. Berenson, crazy, watching me play. Shelf says to Berenson: " he who likes it so much, plays a basket ". " how to basket punta?" " yes what they play in Miami ". " already has contract ", he answers berenson." And Angel gave the jump to the United States.

In Miami he played the tempradas 1951 and 1952, went to west palm beach where he won the gold basket on two occasions, in Daytona played from 1956 to 1966, as well as in the pediments of Milan (Italy) , Acapulco and Mexico DF (Mexico), Havana (Cuba) and the basque pediments. He also made a judge in Orlando and was assistant to Mayor Kiki Valenzuela at the jai alai of Daytona Beach.

" in Havana, that was life, a relaxation. But where better I have lived has been in Milan, in Italy. "il dolce far niente", a continuous pachanga, no pressure, no one knew if you won or not. No talk about ball. Not like in Miami, some cats... what was that. Because in Miami, this so many wins, the fucking program says how many you carry and no more talk about ball and ball."

Why did they call him txantxangorri? . That's how little angel said: " the first time I went to Miami, I was rehearsing before I started the season and there was a guy watching the rehearsal with hat and shorts, a weird guy He saw me rehearse and he says, " you look like a txantxagorri on the court. Come take a shower and we'll have a drink ". " who's that one who told me to go for a drink?". that?... that's Guillermo. (Guillermo Amutxastegi, legendary figure of jai alai).

Little Angel was right pelota. " from the right bounce of the table seven was like getting the pull out for me. " Zia!! No one knew where I threw the width. Once Orbea I got up from the seat to come to half the court to congratulate me."

He met and alternate with film artists, car entrepreneurs (he was a friend of the owner of the brand brand). Attracted people around him. They made him honorary partner of the "Palm Beach Athletic Club", the most select club there was. But he also worked painting houses, put a ranch with horses, had a restaurant in Daytona, etc.

Pelota. A full life.

RIP ANGEL UGARTE

Replies:
There have been no replies.

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording