Welcome To Martin Newell's Message Board
The Karma Scene. A sort of board for messages on the Martin Newell website which also pretends to be a pub. Get your first pretend pint free. Don't pretend to be shy.'
Re(3): Best pub in Wivenhoe
IP: 85.211.130.107

Well, I don't go in pubs as much as I used to, because of various health problems I've had but I remain, spiritually a pub-goer. The Greyhound is my local. It's also a bit of music pub but not so much that music dominates. You can get food and beer there and you can have a noisy drink or a quiet drink. There are plenty of corners to conspire in. Nial's a great landlord who keeps good order.
The Black Buoy is more of a restaurant in many ways. Always busy because it's a good one. Can be a bit of a creche at weekends. The beer and sometimes the cider is not to be underestimated however. They keep it well.
The Station Hotel is a local's local. They don't do food and it's a proper drinker. So it's very popular with the traditional pub goers. They occasionally do music too.
The Rose and Crown on the Quayside is owned by a pub company... with all which that entails. The wine is crisp however. There's food there. Middle class, born-again beer snobs don't like it..which for me, sometimes, is a plus. The landlady's nice. When a chain owns a boozer it's never going to be great but they do the best they can.
At the top of the town, you've got the Horse and Groom which many locals will tell you is the best of the lot. But it IS at the top of the town and I live at the bottom. I've got three pubs within two minutes run and one pub 60 seconds away. That's all. Back to the HOrse and Groom however .Brilliant grub and run like pubs used to be run.
There's also a great Tapas/ wine bar called the Orange Tree, just opposite the Church and I really like that too. We're very lucky to have all these places really.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

See you again soon
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording