Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Mutriku, 1971
Standing, L to R: Arriza, Altuna, Egurbi, Txurruka, Javier Egurbide, Roberto Egurbide
Kneeling, L to R: Beristain, Astigarraga, Andrés Egurbide

Re(1): ADOPT-A-PUNTISTA

Good commentary.

One thing I would suggest - if you are up to the challenge - is put more emphasis on why and how instead of what. By 'what' I mean points and games won and lost. The real key is the how. You can watch a game or point and see that a player is in his best form even if he won zero points in a particular game. Since that kind of information or judgement is elusive and not recorded anywhere, it's potentially much more valuable than anything else. Comparable to analysts in college or pro football who start digging into the game films / tapes immediately, instead of relying solely on stats.

Now...

3/27(M)--Adoptee--IBON
Ibon played in 5 games. 7,8,9,11, and 12.

Oops, first comment and you get zapped. Ibon also subbed early today in games 4, 5, 6. This was important because if he is in good form, his power alone is all but guaranteed to do major damage in the earlies. But he was not in good form, and watching his somewhat groggy play in those games might have made you doubtful of his prospects in the later ones.

From my perspective, I see Wed Mat as like Monday morning for a regular job.

We've got Fats Domino telling us that "Monday's a mess".

Australia's 'Easy Beats' with 'Friday on My Mind' said "Monday morning... feelin' bad".

Many other cultural references, I'm sure.

But I expect major cross-currents at the start of a new week. Like Medrano today looked like "a man on a mission" after a really dismal week, and cranked out 2 consecutive doubles wins where he looked statistically not that great.

Other players who had great weeks might be easing into it. You never know.

Incidentally, I just looked at an article, "Peaking and Tapering in Sport – An Athletically Inspired Educational Journey", where the author stated,

"As we are not robots, we cannot simply perform at 100% intensity or peak performance every day."

I like it when someone who probably knows nothing about jai-alai, but is an authority on sports, states an opinion that still applies to the 7 or more perfs-per-week schedule. They aren't out to prove that players are lazy, or aren't trying, instead they are analyzing the limitations of athletic performance factors in general.

Back to ADOPT-A-PUNTISTA. I think that narrowing the focus to a limited number of players is a great idea.

In fact, it ties in to one of my favorite Aesop / jai-alai connections - "The Vixen and the Lioness".

Good luck fitting that into your task list.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording