Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Mutriku, 1971
Standing, L to R: Arriza, Altuna, Egurbi, Txurruka, Javier Egurbide, Roberto Egurbide
Kneeling, L to R: Beristain, Astigarraga, Andrés Egurbide

Re(2): game 4 dania tonite !!

And are they related to "armpit" posters? Or maybe underarm bowling in cricket?

I don't think you were following Dania the year before the last partido series, but there was an amazing match-up between Ithurria-Bailo and Xabat-Zabala where I-B had dominated win-wise all through the qualifying phase. They seemed like a lock.

But Xabat-Zabala amazed everyone by rising to the occasion and outplaying them start to finish.

Besides that, going back a few years, (more?) Xabat used to absolutely crush the early game singles over a huge time frame. I have always wondered if anyone in the world besides Xabat knows what changed since then.

Regardless, I see him as a wildcard who can kick in at any time in early singles or pop off a quick win out of nowhere with Zabala in doubles.

So guess what? This singles superfecta runout by Xabat did NOT exactly come out of nowhere. On Mar 24 Sun M Xabat closed out his week with a stupendous blast - running out his first 2 games - singles - from posts 7 and 6. Then PWP in his remaining doubles.

My ideal model or 'conceptual framework' of jai-alai is based on looking at players as being in quantum states. ( but unfortunately it's mostly NYI - 'not yet implemented' as you might say in computer programming) Under that way of thought you would form an opinion of what a player can do in his 'A' state, and if you expected that for today, you wouldn't care one bit if he had been C-D-E for many of the preceding perfs. In fact, in terms of pent-up demand, or capacitive discharge, you might actually like that.

Naturally it's mind-bogglingly complicated to try to analyze jai-alai that way for each player, but there is no reason that you can't apply it selectively to a few key players and then use a prosaic ratings formula + sim for the rest of the field.

Anyhow, one of the points of this digression is that when you watch all these games, you need a philosophy to try to make sense of what you see, and for me quantum hcap works. There are certain times when a player has the right stuff, and other times when he's doing the best he can.

So one person can look at a player going supernova and conclude that it's all crooked. Another might say, "Given a 7-perf per week schedule, and the fact that so many sports experts agree that you can't always be peaking, my job as a wannabe Silver Surfer of Jai-Alai is to ride the waves to victory."

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording