Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Steady State vs Punk-Eek

I'll go with punk-eek on this one and predict that an 8 consecutive point run-out occurs more often than the Skiena-type model (representing steady state) would expect.

We might imagine that each player - for a variety of reasons - has a range of intensity / skill levels that are not day-to-day constant. In reality, more likely a continuum, but we can simplify things by quantizing it into A-B-C-D-E levels, where most of the time the player will be in the C state.

I think that in general, an extremely dominant player who wins about 61% of his points will have an overall win rate of about 1 in 4. For him we might get something like: (crude guesstimates)

A - 80+%
B - 68%
C - 61%
D - 56%
E - 45%

With this kind of reasoning, we predict that most of the amazing run-outs will occur when he is in the A-state. Or maybe B.

This cuts both ways, so that if A-state correlates with more run-outs, then in observing a run-out (and not thru lucky points) we can also predict the player is more likely to be in the A-state.

We could make a wild-ass prediction to that effect wrt Diego. Ie, we predict (just based on that one game - crazy?) that he is probably at the top of his game lately.

Inspection reveals:

1 - last night Diego did win again in his next doubles game
2 - arbitrary base period of last 24 perfs shows an even and sustained 1 in 4.6 win rate
3 - Urbieta not that great over 24 perfs, but en fuego beyond question in last 40 games with 8 wins

Incidentally, I noticed that Erik ran-out 4 out of 5 singles games just about a week ago. More great support for punk-eek philosophy. (And what about that Ibon surge?)

But do you think having Erik play to 9 points would have made much difference? I don't. So he could have popped out several 8-consecutives, right there.

The bottom line to all of this is that if you use some means to estimate, or even tabulate, a player's point-winning percentage, then use that to predict run-out rate, it will produce a significantly lower figure than the quantum model, which expects bursts of higher performance levels.

So I predict that an examination of all games in jai-alai history would show more run-outs than you might normally expect.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording