Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

The Great Remen

Been a while since I posted. I hope you are all well. I watched the Remen-Urquiaga vs Zabala -Javier II Hartford / Milford Championship last night. Remen will go down as one of the greatest Front Courters to ever play the game in its history. First time I saw him play was in the 70s at Miami and Hartford, in the program at Miami it said he won the world Cup and threw the hardest shots in the sport. For me that was like I gotta see this guy because nobody can throw a cortada harder than Bereicua Sr. right? WRONG! Remen threw serious heat, although different than Asis, hardest vs strongest are different things. What I liked About Remen was that he threw rockets, and as his career went on he could still deliver a lot of punch in that grenade launcher of a right arm he possessed. He competed on the best rosters against the best players and had his years and nights of being unbeatable. I really think he hit his stride when he went to Hartford when Berenson had control, just seemed like that was his sweet spot. Perfect right side form that looked menacing and bad ass. He won a few World Cups later in his career which showed how much smarter and controlled he became as he matured with the game. He no longer had to blast away to win, he had learned how to use all of his weapons. In that Partido last night, I think he was at his pinnacle, completely focused, hungry and determined. I realized I forgot how great Urquiaga was until that Partido. Back in the day, Remen was yet another player that when he took the court to practice, all eyes were on him, because he commanded the respect from all. As a player I really tried to mimic his right side, definitely his passion, and wanted to be feared if you gave me a right side where I could put it away. I never met or played against him, but last night made me think that Remen along with the greats I saw and compete, breaks my heart that Jai- Alai like that might never be seen again. Remen vs Cachin, ..... Miami Late Games front courters,...Asis, Joey, Remen, Uriarte, Juaristi, Alberdi Zulaica, Arriaga, Mendi I , Ruffino, Guernica . I really happened.

Another great feat of Remen was that the crowd in the pit at Hartford who were merciless really didn't seem to effect his game even if he had an off night. Took in stride.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording