Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches

Re(1): Scratches

One idea I am heavily leaning towards is that the greater the intensity level, the higher the injury rate.

Not exactly Einstein material, but then again, not stated elsewhere, either.

Eg - while viewing replays I noticed that Bailo was backing up to the wall to make a catch when he lost his footing, resulting in probably an ankle / foot injury. If he had casually let it go by for his partner to handle as a rebo, then no injury.

Going back a couple months ago when Zulaika was red hot, I noticed something similar. He was subbing in an early game and receiving from Foronda in doubles. I had noticed that Foronda was throwing exceptionally hard that night, and when Zulaika aggressively committed to taking the serve, with Foronda's extra pace it came off the side wall straight at him. No time to get out of the way. Best he could do was twist his body and get smacked right in the back. No scratch, but a couple days late he got beat by a splitter, and with his extra intensity he tried to reverse his footing at the last second for a desperate grab, only to slip and go down in pain. Out for a while. So 2 more cases where less intensity would have meant no injury.

Even Anndy - I can't be sure, but he is probably playing thru injury. When I saw him winning 3/4 of his points today, full throttle, I wasn't too shocked to see the game 6 scratch. So maybe less intensity and he finishes the perf.

Finally, and this is no lie, going way, way back to Dania's Homero, one time I was looking at his record and was amazed at a monster win streak and I thought, "Better ease up Homero, your gonna hurt yourself". Not entirely joking. And, maybe just pure coincidence, but in the middle of that big surge, he did get scratched, and that was his last season. I always wondered if he retired due to injury or not.

Bottom line, IMO, is that jai-alai is not mall-walking, where you can carry on injury-free indefinitely. I think that it is possible to play at a all-out unsustainable level, where the injury rate starts to climb proportionately. (Elizegi = always maxed right side?)

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording