WELCOME TO THE LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS MESSAGE BOARD. IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST VISIT THERE IS NO NEED TO REGISTER TO PLACE A MESSAGE ON THE BOARD. HOWEVER, IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IF YOU WOULD PLEASE GO TO :DATABASE FORM AND COMPLETE THE FORM. Abusive, Anonymous, and Messages that do not meet the Mission Statement will be deleted and you will be banned from the site. Note: Please take care when entering your email address. i.e. No Spaces! Please enter your email address as someone might wish to contact you direct and they can do this by clicking on your name at the top of your message and your e mail address will come up for them. Leave the LINK NAME, LINK URL, and the IMAGE URL Boxes blank. Enter a password of your choosing this will let you edit post after they have been posted. Once your message is ready to be posted Click PREVIEW POST to check what your message will look like once on site. If you are happy with your message then Click POST. Your message will now go on the site. IF PUTTING A MESSAGE ON A STRING PLEASE PUT YOUR MESSAGE AT THE END OF THE STRING NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STRING IT MAKES THE STRING EASIER TO FOLLOW. Messages posted in the last 24 hrs. are in White.
:SMILIES (Emoticons)
Re(1): Mr Frank Scattergood
IP: 94.197.121.33

Good Afternoon
Welcome to the LF Website.
In order to assist me further do you know in which LF battalion he served?
The WW2 battalions of the Lancashire Fusiliers were...
1st Bn who were in India at the outbreak of WW2 and went on to fight in Burma throughout WW2.
2nd Bn who served in Northern France and Belgium in 1940 and were evacated at Dunkirk. They later served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy.
1st/5th Northern France 194O Dunkirk
2nd/5th Bn who from June 1944 until August 1940 were in Normandy and then disbanded on 20th August 1944.
1st/ 8th Bn who formed part of the BEF during 1940 and they too were evacuation at Dunkirk. From 1942 until 1947 when they were disbanded they were in India and Burma.
10th Bn who from 1942 until 1945 were in India and Burma
11th Bn who were in Malta and Italy.
The 1st/6th Bn LF were ' converted ' in the Autumn of 1941 and became 109 Regiment RAC (tanks). They were in Northern France 1940 Dunkirk.
The reason I ask is that the only LF Battalion that had any involvement in the events of June 1944 were the 2nd/5th Bn. They were not landed in Normandy until 28th June having sailed from Newhaven on the 26th June 1944 and were disembarked at Courcelles sur Mer and later concentrated at La Haiserie.
I will happily stand corrected but as far as I am aware no Lancashire Fusiliers were involved in the actual landings in Normandy on 6.6.44.
The Military Web Site Forces War Records have the details of only 5 Frank or F Scattergood's none of whom were in the Lancashire Fusiliers.
They were...
Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
Royal Army Service Corps (RASC)
Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment )
Royal Engineers
RAF Syerston
Unless you have firm evidence to the contrary it is looking highly unlikely that he was a Lancashire Fusilier and certainly not as such landed at Arromanche on 6.6.44. I'm sorry if this contradicts long held / believed family history?
Regards
Geoff Pycroft
Researcher
LF Web Site

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Password To Edit Post:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright 2000-2010
IF PUTTING A MESSAGE ON A STRING PLEASE PUT YOUR MESSAGE AT THE END OF THE STRING NOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STRING IT MAKES THE STRING EASIER TO FOLLOW.
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording