Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Magic City scratches
Calder Scratches   Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)
Re(1): New question for STU

The plan outlined above is creative & has merit. It addresses the "up-down" concept while curbing the potential trend of a better-skilled player coming into the early games and "overly" dominating the early game players.

This is where we get into the grey area that is, and always has been "Jai-Alai." No one envisioned a player like Carballo doing what he did last week. I personally thought he'd do well but based on his first two weeks no-way I thought he'd dominate like he did. We have the benefit of "fully-engaged-ownership management," above Arra & I. They have ideas that they want to see implimented and one of my responsibilities is to try and make these ideas "work." Based on 6 months experience with each of the players we obviously knew where each player stood / ranked. The "unknown" was how they would stand-up to each other in quiniela play.

The question ultimately comes down-to "manager-assigned'" placement -vs- "system" (some kind of system) and it was determined that "Late / 1st Team" -vs- "Early 2nd team" would be decided by the two-day, April tournament and continued placement on 1st / 2nd team would be determined by ongoing play on a week-to-week basis. One of the goals was to have a fair & predictable system unaffected by potential favoritism (not presupposing that anyone would play favorites but trying to eliminate the possibility). This is what is at the core of the issue and I'm fully confident that Arra, myself or Sr. management could accomplish this without an issue. Based on our experience with this system during our first three weeks it stands to reason that at least some human intervention may be required to make the system more equitable for our players and in turn bettors but we are not there yet and might not get there.

Overall I think the system is working pretty well this week as the games are pretty even and all but two or three players are right where they probably should be. Of our various issues this is the "hottest" issue in our locker room and in discussions among Sr. management and the current system is subject to change but.

I try not to hedge but some of my responses will be more nuanced than others. In this political environment we've all gotten used to hedging & non-answer, answers. All the facts as I know and believe them appear in the lines above. I really do appreciate all the thought that goes into many of the comments that appear herein.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording