Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Miami scratches
Dania scratches   Question of the Week Archive
Re(2): Question for Stu

You're welcome, and thanks for the thorough answer! And, well, wow...see, this is what the sport needs. EXPLANATION and PRACTICES.

My biggest gripe about jai alai FOREVER and a three decades has been the ridiculous amount of secrecy. For example, if a player is playing injured, why is it not revealed? It sure is in all other pro sports. If a player is playing under the weather, why isn't that revealed? It is in other sports. Like when a thoroughbred is on Lasix of the first time, it is surely revealed.

Even in jai alai, player salaries are never revealed, but in any other pro sports, it is headline news. I mean, I'm nit picking, and knowing salaries isn't of dire urgency, but I'm just using an example.

The other huge detriment to jai alai, which you have solved, and I commend you for it, is the total lack of fan interaction from fans when they verbally compliment players. In the glory days of jai alai, players were not allowed to even really look up at fans after a good win or after anything.
They would just totally just nonchalantly walk off the court. on existent at the frontons of old, where the players were discouraged from even acknowledging true compliments from fans. It wasn't until the sport started to die out, a very few players would acknowledge fans with at least a high cesta.

Something only a very few astute jai alai fans know is why players don't serve outside serves in singles. It's because management discourages it, given the cage cuts off a few feet of depth on the court, but moreover, a good player can conjure up high bouncing aces, since the pelota makes no wall contact, meaning no deflection. One time, long ago, there was a great article on this in the Orlando Jai Alai program explaining why it was discouraged, but to be honest, unless you saw that and read it, you would never know. It's a discouraged practice, similar to what you described.

Thanks for such a great explanation. I can honestly say this is the most interesting thing I've read on here all year. Good stuff!

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording