Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Miami scratches
Dania scratches   Question of the Week Archive
Since you asked...and more

MC and Dania are really no comparison on talent. Nor can we compare what is "real" jai alai on a true court and what is a scaled down version of jai alai.

Dania has the top product and is the only real fronton left in the world for parimutuel wagering. Miami did what it wanted to do: they planned to kill themselves and their pools. It just took them 20 years to do it. How the fans tolerated it that long is beyond me. I gave up on them so long ago I can't even recall.

And yet Dania, with all they supposedly have, can't even promote what they have, or even draw us fans back in to wager on them. Their pools have significantly dropped over the past 3 years. As MJAFANALWAYS said most accurately: the business model of jai alai has changed. The presentation alone is ancient.

For example, making the players march out for every single game is silly. Pointless and dated, and wastes 3 minutes across 10 games = 30 minutes of wasted time. Magic City gets on with it.

At Dania, the announcer (the new one who has a modified British accent) is pretty quiet, and rather lackluster. A player makes a phenomenal catch, and 50% of the time, he say nothing. At MC, the announcing is much more involved, and sometimes funny. And the added behind the scenes info they announce is very announcing. Like when they said Anderluck is left handed. And yet, he's all about the forehand. That's impressive.

At Dania, they players follow the decades old model of absolutely NO fan connection or interaction, something I have detested for so long now. At MC, players excitement and fan interaction is encouraged. We NEED this.

Sure, Dania has the quality product, but MC makes it feel more exciting. How exactly can they do that with players like Rock? I mean, all he does in the doubles games is serve and stand on the out of bounds area where the judges are. What next? Put a bench on the court and let him chill while Douglas continues to do all the work?

Similarly, does Rock deserve thousands and thousands of dollars on being doubles champion with Douglas...AGAIN? Certainly not. And that's something that needs to be addressed next time around. The players need to all play with different partners on a rotation basis, just like at Dania. And the best stats for doubles across all those games, overall, for the dedicated front and backcourters, would then win that big money.

Another flaw at MC, is, out of nowhere, players can switch position from game to game in doubles. That makes wagering completely unknown. Unless it's in the printed program, which I don't think it is. I've never heard of MC announcing how they can just do that, like when El Barba was playing awful the other day, and he and Tennessee switched spot. From a wagering standpoint, if you didn't know that, that could hurt.

I like jai alai a lot, but not enough to start supporting Dania. I don't even wager on MC...yet...but I may next season. At least it's something refreshing, with proper announcing, and clear, provided information (except doubles partners switching). But, I GUARANTEE you, if I asked STU a question on it on this forum, he would clearly answer in a day or two. He always had. Just look at my last question, and how interesting the answer was. No one knew that until I asked, and he cleared it up. Any Dania question goes ignored and unanswered. In my mind, if they don't care, why should I?

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording