Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)
Re(3): Magic City to host U.S. National Jai-Alai Championship 4/25-26/2020

I will not provide the names of the players who were not selected - nor will I go into any of the specifics of our internal deliberations. If players who were not chosen would like to speak-up they are certainly free to do so. I'll only say that the decision to include or exclude a player was unanimous among the Selection Committee (Scott, Arra & Myself). The simple truth is that we passed on some players for no specific reason at all.

Many things were taken into consideration including a cap of 62 players, when someone registered (with some deference being given to those who registered early), their geographic location and/or the program they are representing or are associated with, their history within the sport, their ability and other factors. Some deference was given to players personally known to us.

In terms of "politics" there are several players who were chosen who are pretty clearly on record as being "less-than-supportive" of our program and/or our players. LOL - I imagine a few of those chosen may even be surprised that they were chosen based on the amount or intensity of the shit they've talked about us. On this point I have always understood and have stated pretty clearly in this forum that what we do at Magic City is "not for everyone." But to be clear we are going to continue to do it and we are going to try new things in Jai-Alai which may not be comfortable to the sport's most ardent supporters. This is our first "opened-armed" embrace of the broader Jai-Alai community which has not always been so supportive of us - but we are willing to try.

One thing I can say pretty clearly is that this is the most inclusive Jai-Alai tournament ever played in terms of skill here in the U.S. We have players with less than two years experience going up against two prior N.A.J.F. champions and current professionals from Miami and Dania. That's never happened before and certainly never with $20,000 in prize money on the line.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2020 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording