Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)
Re(1): No Politics????

Well there were no political considerations in this selection process. Of course politics has always been a part of Jai-Alai but oftentimes what was seen as "political" was just someone in a position of power favoring people they either liked or were comfortable with over those they did not like.

Over the years players threw the "political / favoritism" card when in fact they had been cut or not included because they were an asshole or were toxic in the locker room or had habitual scratching issues. All, in my view, are completely legit reasons to cut a player or not invite them to return for seasonal play.

Now by history I definitely saw what I thought was unreasonable favoritism or prejudice - remembering that at one time "Americans have no business playing Jai-Alai" was a common refrain. In terms of law suits I only remember the one in 2004 at Ft. Pierce where it was suggested that we were discriminating against Americans but the settlement proved (in that case) we were not. Now a given player manager favoring players from a particular town in Spain or training school or family connection - yes I've definitely heard of that. To be fair I don't know that any individual would have done it differently if they were the Player Manager. In other instances I also know of players who were hurt over the years by various forms of favoritism.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2020 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording