Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Magic City scratches
Question of the Week Archive
OFF TOPIC--SUMO WRESTLING JULY 2020 TOURNAMENT--COMPLETE BLOG COVERAGE--INCLUDING VIDEO MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

https://jbssumo.blogspot.com/2020/03/results-from-haru-spring-2020.html

Will link directly below.

As some of you might know, I have a lifelong love of professional wrestling, which led me into Sumo Wrestling. Sumo is not fake, and has been practiced professionally since 1640. Exhaustive statistics have been kept since about 1750, making the database by far the most comprehensive of any sport in history. There is also tremendous ritual in the sport, owing much to it's Shinto connections.

Today there are 6 major Tournaments held in Japan every year. In every odd month. The May Basho (Tournament) was cancelled but the July Tournament is on (Japan, for the moment, has flattened its curve--imagine that)..

42 rikishi (wrestlers) fight 21 matches per day for 15 days (315 matches). The one with the best record is Yusho (champion) and carries off the gigantic Emperors Cup. The Belt that the Grand Champion Yokozuna (a 340 pound ace named Hakuho--a Mongolian who has won 44 titles and is arguably the best ever of the 72 men who have reached Yokozuna rank since 1750) wears makes any Pro Wrestling belt look pathetic by comparison. I will be covering the Basho, mostly with links (all to English language sources)

Daily Results
Daily Newspaper Stories
Daily Photos
Daily highlight videos from non-copyright violation sources. Take as much or as little as you like.

Videos will lag the other stuff because NHK, the Japanese Public Broadcaster, does that way.

The blog will immerse you in the fantastic database called Sumo Reference. I have never seen anything like it. I think you will enjoy ti.

This will be the only announcement of this blog. Below the present Basho is my coverage from the March Basho. I will not bother with daily updates. If you are interested, go in whenever you please.The tournament started July 19 and ends August 2. 15 consecutive days.

Enjoy. Now back to Carlton, Pesapallo (Finish baseball), Cricket, and...Basque Pelota for me

Sumo July 2020 Tournament Coverage

Replies:
There have been no replies.

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2020 by RSB Associates

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020