Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Magic City scratches
Dania scratches  Question of the Week Archive

Enter our Dania Round Robin Rumble (see rules HERE)
All you need to do to enter is to give us your picks for Sunday
But, it's for Chalk Talk members only, so better get registered if you want to play

The problem with player comparisons

Often we engage in players of different eras comparisons and who would be better or how would someone do, and Joey/ Inclan/ Bolivar/ Asis etc would destroy everybody and I find that unfair. I believe some of today's players are just as good just not many of them. There used to be a LOT of frontons open and a lot more players fighting for position. Since jai alai's decline I believe that a lot less players see it as a future job and the interest is just not there, so you don't get a huge pool of players.

What I find unfair is saying that (example only) Bolivar would crush Goikoetxea or Felix or Churruca or whoever would crush Lopez or Irastorza. Maybe so, but my position is that if someone like Goikoetxea/ Aritz/ Zulaika/ Diego/ Erik/ Solzabal/ Egi or backcourters like Lopez/ Irastorza/ Enbil/Ladutxe and others would've played in the 70's or 80's for example, they would've developed much differently, they are certainly capable players, consistent catchers with good court sense and awareness, great athletes that would've have to adapt and elevate their game to match the greats. Not only that, but the excitement of packed frontons screaming at the top of their lung would have them fighting for every single point.

Example goico would have had to learn more shots when he realized he wasn't gonna overpower anybody and release ball quicker when he got called for holding a couple times. He certainly has ability to spare. Lopez could catch all day without dropping a ball, maybe he needed to cross the wall more with the right side, but the dude would shine wherever and whenever he played with superb rebo, excellent court awareness, power and outstanding catching.

How about we try some reverse psychology here, and bring some of the great ones to this era, say Bolivar, Joey, Asis, Soroa, etc, (but take today's best out like erik, zulaika, etc so they don't have tough competition) and tell them they can play any post at random and sometimes early games, and watch them get the mentality that boleto is what matters and they now want as many early games and posts as they can and ego goes out the door. You'd think they would've been as good when they don't have to develop the best shots or try as hard? Add the fact they would be playing in front of 25 people and management who could give a rats arse if there's jai alai or not, and is now just a job, why fall down in rebotes and mess my hip when I can make a weak arse rebo and the other player is not skilled enough to beat me and no one is gonna care anyways.

Just brainstorming here, any opinions?

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2020 by RSB Associates

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020