Re(2): Handicaps
IP: 91.109.99.107

Well the modified Cartmill-Bath method didn't last long! We could argue for ever on the best system and there will always be anomolies no matter what is applied. For example in our game against the Bards under modified C-B (on current table) the Bards would have a -2 handicap and Historymen -1. Under "average score for" difference the Bards concede 0.5 points (is 0.5 rounded up or down?-up I hope) so the handicap would be the same under both systems (Bards conceding a point to us at the start).

However thank goodness we were not drawn against Electric Pigs. Under mod C-B they would start -3 and we -1 (ie HM are ahead 2 points at the start). Under "average score for" (EP 34.3 and HM 35.4) the Pigs would start the game 1 point ahead (despite the fact they beat us twice in the League and are currently 2 places and 5 league points ahead!)

Analysis of the results when they come in will keep the Statos in business during the close season. To facilitate this I am thinking of buying an anorak and mugging up on the strange world of statistics- I understand Father Megson has an interest in variance and standard deviation and has applied a Student t test to many a student in his time so there will be no shortage of informed opinion.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording