Simcoe County Bird and Nature Board. POSTS MUST INCLUDE FULL NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS OR THEY WILL BE DELETED FROM THE BOARD. Banners at top of page cannot be blocked but are not part of the page. BOB BOWLES
Midland-Penetanguishene Field Naturalists January Meeting

JUST 2 MORE SLEEPS TILL
THE FIRST MIDLAND-PENETANGUISHENE FIELD NATURALISTS'MEETING
OF 2016!

THURS. JAN. 21/16 7:30 PM WYE MARSH WILDLIFE CENTRE

MPFN MEMBERS FREE; NON-MEMBERS AND GUESTS ARE ASKED TO CONSIDER MAKING A $5 DONATION

OUR GUEST SPEAKER

DR. BRENDON LARSON

HIS TOPIC:

REDEFINING OUR RELATIONSHIP TO NATURE

Dr. Larson is a professor in the School of Environment, Resources and Sustainability (SERS), Faculty of Environment, University of Waterloo, Canada.
He writes: "My research concerns the challenge of conserving ‘nature’ at present given the extent to which it is interwoven with humans: we have modified habitats globally, we are changing the climate and the soils, and we are moving species around the planet, among many other effects. These changes are so dramatic that geologists now refer to this epoch as the Anthropocene (‘the era of humans’). To address this challenging interdisciplinary problem, I balance my background as an ecologist and naturalist, which allows me to understand first-hand what we’re losing, with my current social scientific research, which allows me to take a critical perspective on scientific knowledge and which provides some awareness of the range of perspectives of contemporary change."
Dr. Larson has published extensively on topics related to invasive species and has been invited to speak around the world. He was very well received as the keynote speaker at last year's Couchiching Conservancy AGM. Don't be surprised if he works a little bit of circus-style juggling into his entertaining talk.
There will also be a presentation at this meeting by Jennifer Howard on the recent unfortunate shooting of a protected Trumpeter Swan at Tiny Marsh and the attempted rescue by the Toronto Wildlife Centre that she was involved in.

AS USUAL WE WILL BE FUNDRAISING BY SELLING OUR 50/50 TICKETS AND OUR MPFN MAGIC BEAN SOUP.
MPFN MEMBERSHIPS ARE FAMILY $45, SINGLE ADULT $25, UNDER 30 FREE
YOU CAN ALSO BRING ALONG ANY USED NATURE BOOKS YOU'D LIKE TO DONATE TO OUR GREAT NATURE BOOK SALE. BOOKS DONATED WILL BE RESOLD FOR WHAT THE BUYER THINK THEY'RE WORTH.

DON'T FORGET TO LUG-A-MUG FOR REFRESHMENTS AFTER THE MEETING.

SEE YOU ALL ON THURSDAY NIGHT
KEN MACDONALD
VP/MIDLAND-PENETANGUISHENE FIELD NATURALISTS

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Password To Edit Post:

Contact Bob Bowles if you have questions about the Simcoe County Bird and Nature Board
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording