LOASE, Robert John
IP: 72.222.137.3

It's been more than a dozen years ago but the mention of Grand Junction brought it onto my cranium screen this right off...My wife's mother and 2 sisiters moved to G/J in the 80's from California. Sister Rita's husband Jim was a Korean War vet and his hobby was refurbishing vehicles, usually trucks..He'd put this steel structure on his horse size property and it was elevated enough to have engine hoists extended from the overhead...Went there in about 2002 and stayed several days...Jim Day was his name and he had this younger fellow working with him...I was intro'd to the fellow and it turns out he was a former Viet era Seabee...May be been a CM..don't recall but Jim certainly depended on his skills...Jokingly he called the fellow Lois (female name)and the guy accepted the name with grace and laughed about it being French...I swear, when I read John R. obit notice this morning, there it was...Jim got poisoned with the paints and solvents he was using--in 2004...Mary's Mom shortly thereafter and Rita passed just this last year... Sister Chonita still resides there as a widow but we don't travel any more...You know, there was a time when meeting a fellow Seabee was not that much of a big deal..."when did you serve and with who" was about the extent of the conversation but these times, with these electronics we know all about everyone...JW

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020