LBJ's ANNOUNCEMENT OF QUITTING...
IP: 72.222.137.3

I was always up and around early... pretty much as I'd always been...I was in the CPO MESS there at Dong Ha, having early morning coffee and sorting thru the papers on training details to deliver out to certain company squad leaders...One of the mess cooks from the crews galley had asked me to come look at one of the steam kettles that was failing to function... I'd do that often as I had taught Galley Maintenance at Davisville CTU. While we were venting the condensate from the steam kettle someone called out to "knock-off the racket...the President was making an announcement being broadcast over AFRS/Vietnam...

"...I will not run for or will I accept the .....".

ON THIS DAY

On March 31, 1968, President Johnson stunned the country by announcing he would not run for another term of office.

There were varied expressions and pronouncements from the assorted group of listeners, be it a E-2 mess cook up
to a CWO who was there for some scrambled eggs and ham...I don't recall a single word to discourage the President announcement, in fact the cheering was not at all subdued! JW

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020