WHAT BETTER WAY.....?
IP: 72.222.137.3

With a title like I have selected, one can think of so many tasks and jobs...even a well-liked hobby for that matter like my own wood-working is for me...WHAT BETTER WAY...I was spending some time in these early morning hours, going back over the postings of the Vietnam War era troops...much like it is on here with those very few exceptions...short, little cursory mentions that really don't amount to a story...only a fleeting idea of what the author meant because you had experienced comparable things in a combat zone...Reading those I come across a statement...I believe I'd heard or read it somewhere before so that person was not the original author...pretty much sums up thoughts I had on the matter:

The Old Saying`s like: To really live You must almost die, for life has a sweetness that the protected will never know. And There is nothing as Exciting and Exhilarating, as being Intentionally and Effectually fired upon, by someone who is trying their very best to kill you, but missed.

How does that remark "grab you".. were you impressed with the scope and meaning of it...remember that sound, a micro-second before the unimaginable blast of that artillery round against Mother Earth...perhaps you even heard the tell-tale sound of the missiles and shrapnel cutting thru the air...has anyone ever mentioned to you about the smell...no, not that smell of the burning gun powder, but that gaseous odor of some element gas you only knew at that time...neon, exon, flabacon...Someone reading these thoughts of mine...some one with a comical notion might mention the passing of stomach gas or the actual 'soiling' of your Seabee Greens because that incoming was so very close!? Just like the oft-remarked to statement that we've all heard and perhaps stated to ourselves: YOU NEVER MET AN ATHEISIT IN THAT FOXHOLE NEXT TO YOU!
Yeah, let me mark down again that one I was so impressed with:
"To really live You must almost die, for life has a sweetness that the protected will never know. And There is nothing as Exciting and Exhilarating, as being Intentionally and Effectually fired upon, by someone who is trying their very best to kill you, but missed". JW

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020