SURVIVAL-TESTING TIMES....
IP: 72.222.137.3

I have often written here about my tours of duty with Disaster Recovery Training Departments out of Port Hueneme, California. Beginning with my initial indoctrination training at the Army Chemical Warfare school in Alabama
and then thru traveling from city to city across CONUS, Alaska, and Hawaii I witnessed racial strife the was so very prevalent at those times....
ON THIS DAY
On June 19, 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was approved after surviving an 83-day filibuster in the United States Senate.
In front of a class teaching, it was so very easy to have class discussions be
side-tracked by news-of-the-day...As the instructors, we were ordered explicitly, not to permit that to happen. There was lots of monitoring from the stations staff as well as
official monitoring from the PHUE base.
One of my first 'on-the-road' tours took me to the NAV/MCORP RESERVE STATION in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in early March 1964...So soon after the
President Kennedy assassination it was a temper-testing time for the students and us instructors...Many time local officials such as Civil Defense and other notables would be invited to our DRTD classes... A year later we instructors would be assigned to the newly activated Seabee base at Gulfport, Mississippi on temp (TAD) assignment... The racial overtones there were so very distinct and real!

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020