Age at Loss: 40
Remains: Body recovered
Casualty Type: Non-hostile, died of other causes
Casualty Reason: Ground casualty
Casualty Detail: Drowned or suffocated
www.VirtualWall.org/dm/MartinEJ01a.htm
ON THE WALL Panel 04E Line 014

http://www.vvmf.org/thewall/Wall_Id_No=32596

http://www.seabee-rvn.com/GoneBut-Not-Forgotten/Eugene-Martin12Dec65ACB-1/21553769_d7fpkk#!i=1718582686&k=TC97sC8

DCR Report:
1965…Eugene J. Martin BM3, ACB-1, lost his life at Chu Lai

Eugene J. Martin
Zeralda Street, Germantown

The career Navy man drowned in Vietnam on December 12, 1965, at the age of 40, while directing a crew running an oil line from a offshore tanker to Chu Lai Beach in Quang Nam Province. The boatswain’s mate third class was assigned to the West Pacific Detachment, Amphibious Contruction Brigade, and was due to retire in three weeks. Martin had fought in World War II and Korea. The bachelor was planning to return home to Philadelphia, where he was survived by two brothers, and a sister.
... from The Philadelphia Daily News
Posted by: Robert G

SAILOR NEAR DISCHARGE
DROWNS IN VIETNAM

A U.S. Navy petty officer who had spent half his lifetime in the service and was looking forward to retirement on New Year's Day was reported Tuesday to have drowned while repairing a pipeline ruptured by an underwater explosion off Chu Lai Beach, South Vietnam.
Shortly before he died, Eugene J. Martin, 40, wrote a letter to his brother, John E., 42, of 220 Zeralda st., in which he said:
"I will retire on Jan. 1. Expect me home some time in February.
Maybe you could ask around where you work and see if they would have a job for me."
The letter arrived Monday, the same day John received a telegram from the Defense Department containing word of the tragedy. The letter was dated Dec. 7.
The telegram did not give the date of the drowning. It said Martin was working on the line in shoulder-deep water when he stepped backward, disappeared beneath the surface and was drowned.
His brother said Eugene was 20 when he enlisted in the Navy "to make a career of it." He served in both the Second World War and the Korean War.
John said Eugene had been in the South Vietnam theater since October, 1964. He was attached to a Navy oil tanker.
Also surviving are another brother, James, 49, of 6157 Mulberry St., and a sister, Mrs. Catherine Paul, of Sangus, Calif.

Posted by: Jim Mc

http://www.seabee-rvn.com/GoneBut-Not-Forgotten/Eugene-Martin12Dec65ACB-1/21553769_d7fpkk#!i=1718582686&k=TC97sC8

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020