Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration   Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links   Hall of Fame   Dania scratches
Question of the Week Archive (10+ years)

Re(5): Tickle your fancy: QOW #394 redux

No offense taken, Craig. I remember Pete Axthelm from the early eighties as he was on NFL shows and early Breeders' Cup broadcasts. He died in 1991 when he was 47 from hepatitis and liver failure. Apparently, he, like many people didn't have a proper understanding of what is "random". According to what I have read in many books over the years, it is not that easy for "things" or "events" to be random. Jai-alai does not strike me as being that random at all. If one were to look for a sporting event which is random I would suggest the Grand National Steeplechase race held in England once a year (remember Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney in National Velvet). The race is over four miles long and has thirty fences to jump and features very large fields. In 1929, 66 horses started in the race and only nine finished and was won by a 100-1 shot. The year before that only two horses finished, one of which had fallen and got back up to finish second behind another 100-1 shot. Incredibly the great horse Red Rum won the race three times in the 1970s (his name came from the last three letters of his sire's and dam's name combined, not Stephen King's The Shining). I cashed a show bet on a horse in last year's edition (he was one of the field bet horses of which there were seven, I think, one bet gets them all) and there was a photo to separate the first and second place horses after a race of over 4 miles!

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2019 by RSB Associates
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording