Welcome to the 54Net FORUM

The FORUM is provided for Classmates and their families to present information of interest to the Class.

Solitude & Silence

C.S. Lewis, who died within an hour of JFK in 1963, made interesting comments about how, with the coming of the radio, we are now never less alone than when alone. He said we, in fact, live in a world starved for solitude, silence and privacy and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship. I just wonder what his take would be in our world of Iphones, laptops and the gadgets we have for 24/7 contact with others.Reminds me of a phone call I got from a cell phone salesman a few years back in which , after telling me of all the features his product offered, asked if there was any special feature of interest to me.Playing the fool, which is unusual for a 54'er, I said yes, how about "the sound of silence"( a great song, right? He laughed and said "you are something else"! I'm lucky to be able to spend time alone in my computer room with only the sound of our Yorkie barking to break the silence or my wife reminding me to put out the garbage!

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Password To Edit Post:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020