Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration    Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links    Hall of Fame    Question of the Week Archive
Dania scratches    Magic City scratches
What can i say?

There are a couple of dozen people that I interact with daily in my day-to-day life. I think if anyone were entitled to judge me, it would be them. Not the people on the Internet, not people on social media, but the real people that interact with me daily.

Nothing that I’ve ever done, whether it’s in the sport or in my personal life, has been for applause. I’ve always tried my hardest to be a good people person and treat people around me with respect.

There are two things that I like to do with criticism. #1 is use it as feedback to see how I can improve. #2 ignore it.

Our good friend, Jeden, posted a quote on Instagram by Denzel Washington. It said, you will never be criticized by someone doing more than you. You will often be criticized by someone doing less. I get off my couch every day to try to keep Jai Alai going.

I did purposely take a hiatus from reading posts on this site. I also took a short break from social media shortly after the season ended in May. Some quiet “ME” time…

The main reason for this post is because I know there are many like Spanky that would like to know how I feel about everything that’s going on. And of course like everyone else I am a bit sad that what I’ve been doing for the past 12 years is going to come to an end. Everyone that works with me day in and day out knows how much I love what we do.

I don’t think I would make the sacrifices that I make to work at Dania Jai Alai for any other job on the planet.

I don’t see an upside to complaining about the 450 miles I drive every week. Spending 12 to 14 hours a week in my car just commuting to and from work. If anybody here has driven in South Floirda you know how wonderful I-95 can be during rush hour traffic.

Unfortunately, as far as the pari-mutual business is concerned, many have already stated that it needs to come to an end. There is absolutely no reason that any ownership group should lose as much money as we do with Jai Alai or in any business!

But I’m not so sad about the pari-mutual sport coming to an end. I am more saddened by the human side of it all. I have 40 employees, some that have been working for me for over 10 years. I have become very close with every single person that works with me. I have a lot of respect for what every single one of my employees does for me. And when I say “what they do for me” I really mean that. I have loyal hard-working employees that deserve to be commended for their dedication, not just to me but to what we do.

That coming to an end makes me sad.

For the players that play on this roster, we all have One thing in common. We all fell in love with the sport at a young age and have dedicated our lives to playing it to the best of our ability. If there’s one thing that I know it’s the awesome feeling that a player gets when he steps on to the court. If I look back on my 57 years of life, many of the most memorable moments in my life happened on a jai alai court.

I will always argue without being able to win that Jai Alai is where it is today because of the gambling. For many years the gambling was the best part for fans, and maybe still is.
But it’s also what got the game to this moment.

To address a recent comment about my business savvy in Jai Alai. I won’t dispute that. I am a retired Jai Alai player who played for over 25 years. I have now been in the business just over 40 years. I know a lot about the game, the players, scouting and recruiting and the operation on the inside part of the fence. So when you want to discuss the disadvantages between me and any possible counterpart, let’s take into consideration what side of the fence we’ve always lived on.

As a matter of fact, in early 2018 when the senior management came to me and asked me to be more involved on the business side of the sport, I was reluctant.

The decisions that are made as far as the Business side of Dania Jai Alai are primarily dictated by the revenue, or lack there of. So if anyone thinks that any recent Business decisions were not well thought out or executed, they are truly pulling things out of their ass.

JAIALAIMIKE, I truly am sorry that you feel the way that you do. Some of the comments in your last post were fairly accurate but not totally. I really do not like to debate with people but I do think that it could be healthy for you and I to sit together for 20 or 30 minutes to clear a few things up. So here’s what I propose, stop by the fronton, ask any security guard or Denise the teller to call me up so I could come down and sit with you for a little while. We could have a friendly conversation where I could try to explain to you some of the things that you are mentioning in your last comment and try to clear things up. I’m not a monster! I think if we sit down for 15 or 20 minutes, you may realize that.

And to set the record straight, nobody has ever asked me not to speak publicly on this site or anywhere else. Quite the contrary. Some in the senior management have encouraged me to be more vocal when people are making comments about me or my employees.

I and solely I, have made the conscious decision not to engage…

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den - E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2021 by RSB Associates

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020