Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk
Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration    Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links    Hall of Fame    Question of the Week Archive
Dania scratches    Magic City scratches
Re(3): What are your favorite jai alai memories? (unique or offbeat is fine)

I mostly attended Dania so all of these things I witnessed there.

For many years during the late 1970's and early to mid 1980's, Juaristi was the man. I watched (and cashed) Juaristi running out game 11 singles many times, usually from post 6, sometimes post 5 or 7. He had an incredible right side rebote chic-chac, three wall shot and a low hard reverse. Its a crime that his number was never retired. Juaristi in his prime was just as good, if not better, than Joey or Arriaga.

Towards the end of Juaristi's career a lot of new players came to Dania whose style was to hold the ball. Not only did they hold the ball but they were good at taking serves too. It was obvious that the holding frustrated Juaristi and it all boiled over after Elola took Juaristi's serve and held it and made Juaristi commit to outside, then laid him up. Juaristi got pissed and took off his helmet and drop kicked it half way up the front wall and he was standing on about the 8-9 line. Quite a boot. That earned him a few days suspension. This is very much a guess, but maybe around 1985 that this happened.

A guy tried to hang himself by tying an electrical extension cord around the railings on the second floor and the other end around his neck and jumped off the balcony. Almost immediately J. Echaniz, Ondo and I think the other player was Blanco, came running out of the door to the locker room and saved the poor guys life.

The electricity went off at the fronton and for several seconds it was completely dark and I watched a Gypsy fall down the stairs deliberately. A lawsuit scam no doubt.

The same time the electricity went off and the court remained dark for a long time and Barronio got some chalk and drew on the back wall a very large picture of an Indian smoking a huge blunt. Arregui saw this and went nuts

I remember going to the box office early in the day to buy seats for that nights performance

So many more memories, too numerous to list.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den - E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2021 by RSB Associates

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020