Discussion forum for Jai-Alai Heaven
Foro de la discusión para el Cielo de Cesta Punta
Forum de discussion pour le Paradis de Pelote Basque

hits since 8/12/03

Chalk Talk Registration    Participación en Chalk Talk
Useful Links    Hall of Fame    Magic City Scratches
OneStop Entries/Results/Stats   Question of the Week Archive
Re(1): Players who were once great that somehow reversed course

Dania's Arriaga is probably the biggest reversal I've witnessed in my 25+ years watching jai-alai, primarily in South FL. He had a major drop off in his mid 30s, around 2010, give or take. He was ineffective in partidos, in the Basque Country, around that time. Egi & Zen had already given him a run for his money in years prior, as top front, and Celaya had a late Renaissance around 2007 to 2008, but Arriaga really lost his grasp, around 2010, when Diego came into his prime and Erik had worked his way into late games. Between Diego, Erik, Solozabal, an up and coming Zulaika, Angel, the consistent Arregui, Arrieta, and eventually Hormatexea, Arriaga completely lost his dominance of the late games. He even switched to back court for a season. Olatxu was his name, I think.

This is interesting, because I think Arriaga hit his prime in his 20s, whereas, Diego continued to improve and hit that point in his 30s. It may also have to do with the competition. I'm curious what other chalkies think.

And Bada, as I mentioned in another post, I disagree that Tevin had a major letdown, because I don't think he was a star to begin with. He was a fine and smart player, with a stellar left side turn on the rebote. He did well on the Milford court, against that competition, even in some tournaments, but he was outclassed in Miami, with overall average numbers. Guys like Aretio, Lejardi, and Jabi were in a different league, not to mention Goico, and eventually Aritz. It was not an easy field, but he played well against great competition. When he arrived at Dania, he was, or was almost 45. I can't really discount his play at Dania, as he was immediately thrown into late games vs. many fronts that were in their prime and also superior.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Do you want to post on Chalk Talk?
In order to post your own messages on Chalk Talk, you must first register as a member.
USE THIS LINK Chalk Talk Registration USE THIS LINK to register.
Do NOT use the link above the posting box that says 'You must register ... register here'. It will not work.
Please report problems/questions directly to the Den - E-mail: rsbassociates at mindspring dot com
Tiger's Jai-Alai Chalk Talk logos, format and graphics copyright © 2003-2022 by RSB Associates

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2020